Monday, November 5, 2012

Second Interview


                                         My second interview

Preparations for the interview

For my second interview, I searched a lot of information to help me to do a good interview, especially for the ways to make interviewee feel comfortable. First, I choose another people who are from America to be my interviewee; second, I rewrote my questions for my second interview; third, I went back to my first interview, and I found my advantages and disadvantages in my first interview. I want to make some progress for my second interview. Finally, I printed two copies of my questions, and one is for my interviewee, and one is for me.

How did I approach people

I have a good friend, her name is Yuhwa, she is an exchange student in Saint Cloud, although we don’t have the same major, we took the same ESL classes together before. She is from South Korea. This Tuesday, when I finished my class, I gave her a call and asked her to help me with my interview. She agreed it with no hesitation.

When, where and how did I conduct and record my interview

On Tuesday, when we finished our dinner together, we went to the library and reserved a study room for our interview. At almost 7 am, we began our interview. First, we talked something about our classes. Then, I gave her a copy of my question, and gave her a few minutes to have a look for the questions. Final, we pay attention to our conversations. During our interview, we talked a lot of issues about the life in South Korea, such as: The education systems in the South Korea, the geography in South Korea, the language in South Korea and the religions in South Korea. We also exchanged our opinions about different issues.

Who did you interview?

My interviewee is my best friend, who is from South Korea She is an exchange student here and this is the last semester for her in this school, and her major is education. We took the same class together before, and we also met in the international student dinner. When I met her in the international student, I found we had the same class together. Although we didn’t have much talk before, we had a very nice talk during the dinner, and we exchanged our contact information. Day after day, we built a very deep relationship between each other.

Interview report

This is my second interview, I was more careful when I was doing this interview. I think we indeed have done a good job, because both of the interviewee and I are from Asian countries, we shared a lot of differences and similarities between our countries. And both of us as an international student, we exchanged our feelings and opinions about SCSU. Otherwise, this also gives us a good chance to know more about each other and know more about our different countries, and it will help us have a deeper relationship between each other.

Country report

Korea, a country which was built in the Middle Age. In the west, its neighbor is China, in the East, its neighbor is Japan and in the North, North Korea is its neighbor. The area in South Korea is 99392 square kilometers and its population is 50 million. Seoul is the capital of South Korea, whose population is 9794304 [1].

Education is one of the most important parts in South Korea. Education can be classified into Kindergarten, Elementary school, middle school, high school and secondary education.

Kindergarten is not a public administered program. Most children are sent to private schools, and some schools are taught in Korean while some taught in English. From the age of three to seven, children will attend Kindergarten and most children don’t attend preschool [2].

When children reach 6 or 7 years old, they will be moved to the first grade of elementary school, but 8 years old is the calendar system in Korea. From kindergarten to high school, students are not admitted by their grade level, instead, it is according to their age.

In general, the school year is divided into two semesters. From the beginning of March to mid-July, it is the first semester; and the second begins in late August and ends in mid-February. The summer vacation is from mid-July to late August, and they also have a Winter break from late-December to early February. Then they come back to school for a week and take another vacation from mid-February to early March [2].

Culture in South Korea is similar to that in China. According to the traditional culture of Korea, South Korea has developed a culture which is different from that in North Korea. The effects of economy and lifestyles make population concentrated in main cities, which is similar to China [3].

South Korea is affected by foreign counties. At the beginning, America and Japan have big effects on it. Many people in Korea enjoy watching American movies, and it also changed people’s diet habits. Many people prefer to Western food and other Asian food instead of traditional Korean food. Such as, Pizza, hamburger, chicken, coffee and ice cream become very popular in Korea.

Images of traditional Korean food.
 

 
Religions in Korea. Buddhist and Christian are the dominant religions in Korea. Going back to the Three Kingdoms Period, Buddhism came into Korea from China. Buddhism is stronger in the more traditional east of the country, where the population of Buddhist is up to half of the population. There are a lot of different schools in Korean Buddhism. Such as Seon. Buddhism in South Korea is leaded by the Jogye Order, a syncretic sect traditionally linked to the Seon tration [4].

Holidays in Korea. There are a lot of holidays in Korea, they are:

New Year’s Day: it is a day to celebrate New Year.

Korean New Year’s Day: The first day of Korean lunar calendar, it is regarded as the most important holiday in the tradition of Korea.

Independence Day: It is memory of March 1st Movement in 1919.

Children’s Day: The day for children to share their happiness.

Buddha’s birthday: Bucheonnim Osinnal.

Mid-autumn Festival: Korean traditional harvest day.

Christmas day: The day for Christmas [5].

 





Audio record:
My second interview--South Korea 
http://soundcloud.com/he-xianping/vn620244                                 

 

Transcript

X: xianping

T: Yuhwa

X: Hello, Yuhwa, thanks for helping me with my interview. How is your day going?

Y: You are welcome! I’m glad to help you. I have a nice day, because I’m prepared for my wedding, and everything goes well with us.

X: Great! I’m glad to hear that. Are you ready for our interview?

Y: Sure. Let’s begin.

X: Where are you from?

Y: I am from South Korea.

X: Sounds nice! Why did you choose this school?

Y: Ok, I am an exchange student here. When I decided to attend this school, I heard many suggestions from my friends who studied here before, and they said this is a good place for studying. Besides, my school in South Korea has cooperation with this school.

X: Good, what’s your major?

Y: My major is Education.

X: Great, I have many friends who have the same major with you, it is indeed a good major and teacher is an excellent career. Would you want to talk something about your family?

Y: Sure, please.

X: Thanks. What’s the value of family in your country?

Y: Family plays an important role in my country, and people usually want to stay with their family, because it always brings a lot of laughter when we stay with family.

X: Good, it sounds similar with my country. Yuhwa, I am a little curious about one thing: Both of us are from Asian countries, and then I guess we should have a lot of things which are similar. Such as, when children are over 18 years old in your country, do the children find part-time jobs to support themselves or their family will continue support them?

Y: In my family, I did not find part-time job even when I was 18, and my parents support me. But I knew some of my friends found part-time jobs when they entered college. They thought this could a good chance to get some experience, and they can also help their family reduce the financial stress. I agreed with their opinions. I did not do as well as them because my major has much stress and I need to pay attention to my study.

X: Good, it is similar to that in China. Compared with the children in western countries, there are fewer students who will find part-time jobs when they are studying. But I think both of them have the advantages and disadvantages. Thanks for talking so much about family. Could you talk something about education?

Y: Yes, what do you want to learn about education?

X: What do you think of the education system in South Korea?

Y: Nice, I like the education system in my country. Because we can have a lot of freedom to choose our professor and class, and the class schedule is very flexible. Then, we can have a chance to get what we need.

X: Sounds attractive. Do you find some differences between high school study and college study?

Y: Yes, they are very different. In high school, we have more class than college, and if we want to apply for a famous school, we need to get higher score in a very important exam. But when we enter college, we can have more activities, we can choose the majors we are interested in, and we can also join a lot of interesting clubs.

X: Good, what do you think of the college you attended now?

Y: Good, I like everything here, and the education program is awesome, and the professors are very nice and patient here.

X: I’m glad to hear that. Do you know how many people can have a chance to attend college in your country?

Y: South Korea has wonderful education system; we can get free education from elementary school to high school. And if we have satisfied score, we can also apply for the scholarship when we are in college. Then, most people can have the chance to go to college if they like.

X: Excellent! Education is very important to everyone. Thanks for talking so much about education! Can we move to culture? I know, there must be a lot of differences between Asian countries and Western countries. As an international student in America, do you find some differences between America and your home country?

Y: great! I’m glad to help you. Yes, you are right; cultures between Korea and America are so different. Such as, when we hang out with our friends, we usually keep a little space between each other, but in Korea, we can hang out hand by hand.

X: Yes, China has similar situation with Korea. Which points of culture make you be proud of your country?

Y: Korea as the developing country in the world, it has its unique economy development. And it has inclusionary culture; we can have many chances to contact with diverse people.

X: Sounds interesting! It will be really helpful to get on well with diverse people. Yuhwa, I knew Korea is also famous of food; could you give me some introductions of food in your country?

Y: Of course. We can different taste restaurants in Korea, such as Asian food restaurants, Indian food restaurants, and American food restaurants.

X: Nice. It will give us a satisfied feeling when we taste different delicious food. What is your favorite food? Do you taste other countries’ food, such as American food?

Y: Of course! I think Pizza is my favorite American food. Maybe most people will think Pizza is a common food in America, but it is very delicious and convenient, especially when we have a lot of classes. When I lived on-campus, I met a lot of students who were from different countries, and they made different tastes of food for me. But I think Asian food is my favorite food, such as tofu, noodles. They are indeed spicy and delicious.

X: Yuhwa, I am glad to hear that. Yes, I love Asian food too; they are very spicy and delicious. Religion will be another important issue in Korea. Do you have any religions? What do you think of them?

Y: Yes, I am a Christian. When I was in high school, I chose to be a Christian. God is always awesome person. Every time, when we need any help, he always stays with us, and give us support. And you don’t need to care how well you did. Sometimes, when you were in plight, you don’t need to give up, you just need to talk with him, and he always has a plan for you.

X: Good, do you know how many people is Christian in Korea? Is it the dominant religion in Korea?

Y: Yes, many people are Christian in Korea, and I think it is the dominant one.

X: Thanks, what kinds of activities do you have as a Christian?

Y: Well, we need to go to church every Sunday, and we sit together and study Bible together. We share our opinions about Jesus. And sometimes, we also bring some snacks to church and share them together.

X: Sounds good! Do you have your favorite holiday in your country?

Y: Yes, I think Christmas Day is my favorite holiday in my country. Because it is connected with Christian, and we will have many activities to celebrate.

X: sounds nice, could you give me some examples of the activities you will do on that day?

Y: Sure. At first, we will sing Christian songs, and then we will read bible together. Final, we will go boating, and we will have dinner together.

X: sounds attractive! I can image the joy when you celebrate it. Tracey, thanks for your sharing, it is indeed helpful. We have done an excellent job!

Y: You are welcome! I’m glad to help you, and I also have fun.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment